This post will walk you through how to win a Chevening Scholarship and the process of filling out the Chevening Scholarship UK application form step by step.
As a candidate, you will begin your application with work experience, then move on to university selection and field of interest, and finally, you will write four essays as part of the Chevening scholarship online application form, but first, you must understand what the Chevening scholarship is all about.
What is the Chevening Scholarship UK?
The Chevening fellowship is one of the finest master’s scholarships in the United Kingdom. However, in order to be an ideal candidate for this opportunity, you must properly comprehend the application and selection procedure. We are here to walk you through the Chevening Scholarship UK 2023 application process step by step.
Read Also: Family Sponsorship Program in Canada
Chevening Scholarship is a fully-funded one-year master’s degree scholarship program in the United Kingdom that seeks outstanding emerging leaders from around the world to put their innovative research ideas into practice, work on global problems, and strengthen their leadership qualities in order to build a better future.
Because they will be supported by Chevening’s fully-funded scholarship, all master’s scholars will gain the most professional experience possible. In addition, researchers would be able to expand their network, form international partnerships, and learn about UK culture.
It is a highly competitive scholarship, and it is critical to be familiar with every stage of the process in order to be picked. After receiving a Chevening scholarship, a candidate goes above and beyond his expectations, gaining numerous best experiences.
The following are the phases to process the application:
- The online application form is submitted.
- Applying to institutions and gaining admission
- English Proficiency Exam
- Eligible UK-based universities for Chevening scholarships
Duration of the scholarship:
- 1 year
- Master’s Program
When do applications open and close?
Chevening scholarship applications open in September and close in November each year
Value of the scholarship:
- Tuition fee wavier
- Economy class return tickets
- Arrival allowance
- Travel allowance
- Reimbursement for the visa application fee.
- Departure allowance
- TB testing reimbursement up to £75
- A monthly stipend for living and accommodation expenses.
What are the General Eligibility Criteria for the Applying?
- A candidate must hold a Bachelor’s Degree before applying.
- Must be a citizen of one of the Chevening eligible countries or territories
- Must have at least two years of work experience
- Must fulfill the criteria of English Language requirement
- You can find more information about the eligibility criteria here.
In the four compulsory essays, you will be required to discuss your job experience and academic background, as well as the leadership activities in which you have previously engaged. Candidates who are shortlisted will be invited to an interview in which they will be asked about their four essays.
How many working hours are required to be eligible for the Chevening scholarship?
The working hours of a candidate will be evaluated as 35 to 60 hours per week and 40 to 50 weeks per year. If an applicant exceeds the maximum age for full-time employment, he will be ineligible. The Chevening scholarship requires a minimum of 2800 hours of work experience over a two-year period.
If a candidate works part-time, his experience will be spread out over a longer period of time.
What work experience is required?
- A candidate’s work experience does not have to be directly relevant to his field.
Does a candidate require evidence of work experience?
- A candidate is not required to present any proof of work experience.
A candidate must have work experience that should be equivalent to the 2800 hours in the following ways;
- Non-paid Internship
- Part-time internship
- Full-time internship
- No age limit.
- A candidate should hold work experience in the field of study.
- Having a volunteering experience can add more chances for selection.
How to Choose a Course and University?
How you can select your field of interest and University?
You have the option of selecting one of three distinct qualified universities with a variety of courses; you can select either:
- Applying to three separate institutions for the same course.
- Applying to three separate institutions for three distinct courses
- Interested in three separate courses at the same university.
What Degree Grading System should you include in your application?
A candidate should be aware of his or her grade according to the UK system, which is 2:1 or 2:2, which is equivalent to 12-14 in the French system or 10-11. More information is available on the official website.
How do you know which universities you can apply to?
A candidate would find a brief description of the courses and qualifying universities to apply to on the official website.
Is the individual applying to a partner or a non-partner university?
A candidate can apply to both partner and non-partner universities, but because a partner university is easier to access and comprehend, you secure your admission while suggesting that they wait until the scholarship results are announced.
How does an applicant select a university?
- If you have a 2:2, check to see if the university you are applying to recognizes it.
- A candidate should check the official website to see if he is from an eligible nation for Chevening University.
- A candidate must determine whether the relevant course for his Bachelor’s degree is offered by the eligible university.
- Before applying to a university, it is necessary to research the university’s national and worldwide rankings.
- After applying to a university, one should investigate the department’s reputation in terms of research and professors.
- A candidate chooses a university based on his or her liking for the city.
- To ensure one choice of admission, a candidate should apply to at least one university earlier.
- When applying to a university, a candidate should research the programs available, campus life, inter-campus events, and so on.
How should a candidate decide on a course of study?
- A candidate should always apply for the appropriate program of study.
- An applicant should not pursue any field that is irrelevant to their Bachelor’s degree because it will reduce their chances of receiving a scholarship in the UK.
- While applying for the course, a candidate should evaluate how the chosen course will fit with the UK’s action in his host nation, and how he or she will contribute to that action after receiving the scholarship.
- Chevening scholarships have a time duration of 9 to 12 months, thus candidates should constantly seek for the course duration.
What if an applicant is unable to identify a suitable field of study in the UK?
- The purpose of this scholarship is to foster goodwill between the United Kingdom and my home country. If you’re a candidate.
- If an applicant cannot identify his topic of study, he should read articles on what the UK contributes to his country and choose a course based on that while filling out the application.
How should you prepare for your Chevening interview in 2023?
- An applicant must be certain of his career goals and clear in his objectives in relation to his country’s realities and course of study.
- A candidate must be secure in his ideals and accomplishments, even if they are minor leadership efforts, and demonstrate that you have made a significant difference in your community.
- A candidate should read his or her personal statement or essay before the interview and prepare for the interviewer’s queries. If a candidate is familiar with his application, he will be less nervous and more confident.
- A candidate must be familiar with his or her course and be able to demonstrate a strong interest in it.
- Preparing for the interview will boost your chances of selection and relieve tension.
- Don’t be monotonous during the interview; change your tone and be genuine.
- An applicant should be appropriately clothed and able to make eye contact with the interviewer.
- A student must be prepared to answer inquiries that are unrelated to the course and aims; for example, where students want to travel in the UK.
- An applicant must have an interest in fostering goodwill between the United Kingdom and his own country.
Don’t wait until the last minute to submit an application; the system will crash. So be cautious and submit your application by the deadline.
We hope that these recommendations may assist you in becoming a successful candidate. Best wishes!